Saturday, December 2, 2017

1-Dec-2017 Mill Creek, Washington

Mill Creek collection site. Click to enlarge.
Almost two years ago, in February, 2016, I tapped cones dropped by an eastern white pine (Pinus strobus) tree growing in the parking lot of an office park in Mill Creek (Snohomish County). Among the spiders I collected that day were two juvenile Ozyptila praticola, the introduced thomisid that I've been studying. Finding myself back in Mill Creek this day, I decided to tap cones there again, in hopes of finding a mature O. praticola specimen. But though I tapped 65 cones this time around, I found no spiders in them at all!

Tree to the left: no spiders in cones!
Tree to the right: spiders few but worthy!
The fallen cone microhabitat
Undeterred, I crossed the driveway to tap a new set of cones that had fallen from a different P. strobus. The spiders weren't exactly plentiful; 100 tapped cones produced only 7 spiders, and none of them were O. praticola. However, four specimens were mature and therefore identifiable to species: two Tachygyna vancouverana (Linyphiidae) males, one Tenuiphantes tenuis (Linyphiidae) female, and one Cryptachaea blattea (Theridiidae) male. Better than nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment